Join the Degree Accreditation Committee
This group (formerly the Accreditation Working Group) developed the Society of Biology’s Degree Accreditation Programme and now oversees the running of the programme.
Through the Degree Accreditation Programme we aim to:
- Acknowledge academic excellence by highlighting degrees that provide graduates with the skills and experience necessary to enter employment in either academic or industrial research and innovation
- Drive up the standards of learning and teaching in the biosciences
- Ensure a pipeline of skilled graduates into areas of both national and international importance
The committee also looks to ways in which accreditation can be developed and expanded in the future. For more information about the remit of the group, see the terms of reference.
Desirable qualities for potential candidates include:
- Relevant experience in higher education in the biosciences
- An understanding of the expectations of employers on graduates and the benefits of graduates to employers
- A proven track record in research
- Commitment to the Society’s vision and mission
- Willingness to contribute a significant amount of time to the Society
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons, and particularly in the following areas:
- Employers in the environmental sector
- A graduate from an accredited programme
Interested candidates should send a brief CV with evidence of key requirements and a letter of application to Paul Trimmer.
If you would like more information about the group, or would like to discuss your suitability for the group please contact the accreditation manager, Paul Trimmer.
Time commitment and expenses
The group meets once a month at the Society’s headquarters in London and members are expected to read a number of papers prior to each meeting. The majority of the work takes place at the monthly meetings, but there is some commitment between meetings, mostly commenting on documents circulated by email.
Members of the Degree Accreditation Committee do not receive remuneration but all reasonable expenses associated with attending the meetings will be reimbursed. Members are expected to serve a three year term with the group.