- 25 April 2019
85 degree programmes have been awarded Accreditation this year by the Royal Society of Biology in recognition of the high standards of education provided by their biosciences degree programmes.
A reception in Parliament celebrating the latest Accreditation cohort took place on 24th April, with academics, industry representatives and bioscience graduates in attendance.
This year, 16 institutions have received Accreditation for a number of their degree programmes. Two international institutions, the United Arab Emirates University in UAE and Universidad de las Américas Puebla in Mexico, were recognised for their high quality bioscience education provision.
A selection of award winning recipients
The RSB Accreditation scheme identifies programmes that offer high quality teaching, curriculum delivery and practical skill set development, and that empower students to embark upon a career once they graduate.
Including this year’s additions, there are now over 600 programmes across 58 institutions that have received Accreditation from the RSB, including several outside of the UK.
The scheme has grown since its inception in October 2012, with more than 50% of UK universities that teach the biosciences having one accredited degree programme or more.
Dr Mark Downs CSci FRSB, chief executive of the RSB, said: “We are delighted to announce that 16 more institutions have received Accreditation.
“With over 50% of UK universities that teach biosciences now having at least one accredited degree programme, we can see RSB Accreditation enhancing and recognising education landscape development.
“Our Accreditation scheme has influenced the way HEIs deliver teaching, and ensures that students at these institutions are receiving a robust biosciences education that equips them with the skill sets and abilities valued by employers.
“We want to ensure all bioscientists, at all stages of their education, can enrol on an accredited course in confidence that they will receive an exceptional standard of training and support.”
Jacqui Hall FRSB (left), AstraZeneca, delivered a keynote address along with RSB President Professor Dame Julia Goodfellow FRSB (right)
- Anglia Ruskin University, 12 degree programmes
- De Montfort University, one degree programme
- Edge Hill University, one degree programme
- University of Huddersfield, eight degree programmes
- University of Nottingham, three degree programmes (School of Life Sciences)
- University of Nottingham, one degree programme (School of Biosciences)
- Queen’s University Belfast, 10 degree programmes
- Robert Gordon University, one degree programme
- University of Surrey, 19 degree programmes
Advanced Accreditation recipients:
- Aston University, one degree programme
- University of Dundee, 12 degree programmes
- University of Nottingham, three degree programmes
- University of Salford, three degree programmes
- Sheffield Hallam University, three degree programmes
Master’s Degree Accreditation recipient:
- Leeds Beckett University, four degree programmes
Doctoral Training Accreditation recipient:
- Imperial College London, one Doctoral Training scheme
International Accreditation recipient:
- United Arab Emirates University, one degree programme
International Advanced Accreditation recipient:
- Universidad de las Américas Puebla, one degree programme
To find out more about our accreditation programme visit our website.