The Society's training programme is expanding; we offer courses to suit all interests and competencies, from enthusiastic students to high level professionals. Our aim is to promote interest in biology and enable individuals to continue their professional development (CPD). All attendees who complete our training courses will receive a certificate of attendance and achieve CPD points that count towards our CPD scheme.
Attending a face to face training course can develop your skills and knowledge and provide opportunities for you to network and learn from others. Please see our upcoming training courses on our events page.
In house training
The RSB can organise training courses for your staff in a range of areas within the biosciences. We can also take bulk-bookings for our training courses. If you have staff or students in your organisation who would benefit from up-skilling, then please contact us at email@example.com
The RSB's online courses, on myLearning are highly interactive, containing exercises, videos and an area for taking notes. Online training provides flexible option to train in your own time, for those who may be unable to attend our face-to-face courses.
Our online training courses currently include:
- Gopher Science Lab, aimed at teachers and educators of science
- Animals used for Scientific Purposes
- Introduction to Trusteeship and Governance
- Core Business Skills for Biologists
- Writing for Non Specialist Audiences
- Persuasive Scientific Writing
There are more courses in development and will be coming soon. Visit myLearning to find out more.
Bespoke CPD for biology teachers
The Royal Society of Biology is committed to supporting and encouraging the study of biology at primary, secondary and higher levels across the UK, working in coordination with our member organisations and with the broader scientific community. In the ever-changing world of biosciences, we have identified the need for further biology-specific training and CPD for science teachers.
The Royal Society of Biology can offer tailored, subject specific teacher training for GCSEs/A-level qualifications (or equivalent). Training courses can be delivered in-person within your place of work, or via video conferencing. The RSB’s network of experienced teachers, professionals and academics can work with you to tailor the event to suit your specific needs.
To begin planning this training and receive a quote, please contact the RSB at firstname.lastname@example.org providing an overview of your requirements. You may want training on how to deliver a GCSE or A Level required practical, a deeper knowledge of epigenetics or on how ecology and protein structure might be linked together on an exam paper. Dates for training courses can be flexible to suit your organisations needs and availability. Whatever your requirements, just ask.
Training discounts for members and Member Organisations
- Discounts of up to 50% are available to our individual members
- Discounts of up to 30% are available to our Full and Supporting Member Organisations, HUBS members and SCAS members
- Group-booking discounts are available, for members and full and supporting Member Organisations who would like to send multiple staff on the same course. Please email email@example.com to find out more.
For individual course fees please see the course pages on our website.
Training course approval
Royal Society of Biology training approval scheme is an independant process which reviews and provides recognition for organisations offering high quality training relevant to the biosceince community. Please download our guidance doucment for more information. To enquire about training approval, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marine Fish ID Skills, Marine Biological Association
- Introduction to Plankton, Marine Biological Association
Courses are approved for CPD purposes only; approval does not imply they will fulfill any regulatory requirements. The RSB is not responsible for course delivery and as such will not be held liable in the event of any dispute between the course provider and attendees.
- "Really interactive and fun"
- "In depth, good use of practical work"
- "Well structured. There were a lot of opportunities for practice which was good"
- "Great facilitator; clearly very knowledgeable and approachable. Very hands-on. Good balance of theory and practice."
- "Enjoyed how practical it was and that we received lots of genuine and useful feedback from the trainer."
- "Fascinating subject matter, very well covered. Right amount of detail, easy to follow and engage with. Like the incorporation of group work."
- "Very clear and concise material, very knowledgeable course leader, very inclusive and happy to talk through experiences with everyone, good open atmosphere, good examples and nice to talk about own experience."
Certificate Training Programmes
The Industry Skills Certificate is an initiative by the Royal Society of Biology, designed to increase the employability of scientists into industry, either for the first time or from academia. The certificate aims to provide a set of industry specific skills and knowledge gained through the participation in online and in-person training courses. For further details please visit our webpage or contact email@example.com
The Technical Skills Certificate is the latest initiative by the Royal Society of Biology, which follows on from the successful launch of the Industry Skills Certificate in 2019. This certificate is designed to support the professional development of technical staff working in higher education, industry or in a private laboratory. For further details please visit our webpage or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
RSB Partners With HEaTED
HEaTED is the leading organisation for Higher Education and Technician Educational Development, delivering skills, training and networking for all specialisms and disciplines of the technical workforce. As the National Technician Development Centre’s (NTDC) training arm, HEaTED offers CPD courses and networking opportunities specificially designed for individuals in the technical community, aiming to develop technical staff, no matter their discipline or stage of their career. As a partner of the RSB, HEaTED offer a 50% discount on all their training courses to RSB members, for more information on their training courses please see the HEaTED website.
Share your suggestions
In order to ensure that the courses we offer are relevant to those working in the life sciences sector, we survey our membership on an annual basis and appeal to our employer members for intelligence on industry needs. We’re always keen to expand our training programme, so please do contact us with your training needs and suggestions. If you would be interested in developing a training course for our online training platform please complete our online course proposal form and email it to email@example.com
Every month we publish a newsletter which details our current training events, online courses and opportunities to get involved. Email us to sign up now.