The Society's training programme is expanding; we offer courses to suit all interests and competencies, from enthusiastic students to high level professionals. Our aim is to promote interest in biology and enable individuals to continue their professional development (CPD). All attendees who complete our training courses will receive a certificate of attendance and achieve CPD points that count towards our CPD scheme.
Face to face training
Attending a face to face training course can develop your skills and knowledge and provide opportunities for you to network and learn from others. Please see our upcoming training courses on our events page.
In house training
The Society’s online courses are highly interactive, containing exercises, videos and an area for taking notes. This online training is compatible with all major web-browsers and mobile devices. Online training provides a flexible option for those who may be unable to attend our face-to-face course.
Our online training courses currently include:
- Gopher Science Lab, aimed at teachers and educators of science
- An Introduction to Project Management
- Animals used for Scientific Purposes, for license applicants under Directive 2010/63/EU and UK ASPA 1986
More courses will be coming soon. Visit myLearning to find out more.
Training discounts for members and Member Organisations
- Discounts of up to 75% are available to our individual members.
- Discounts of up to 50% are available to our Full and Supporting Member Organisations, HUBS members and SCAS members.
- Group-booking discounts of up to 10% are now available, for members and full and supporting Member Organisations who would like to send four or more of their staff on the same course.
For individual course fees please see the course pages on our website.
Training support for professional registers
Our courses may provide CPD support for those on, or applying to, our professional registers. Our Training Support for Professional Registers document lists a range of courses that we run to support the competencies underpinning our professional registers.
- "Would go to another course by this provider"
- "Really interactive and fun"
- "Met all my learning outcomes"
- "In depth, good use of practical work"
- "Well structured. There were a lot of opportunities for practice which was good"
- "Excellent, course well delivered."
- "Great facilitator; clearly very knowledgeable and approachable. Very hands-on. Good balance of theory and practice."
- "Enjoyed how practical it was and that we received lots of genuine and useful feedback from the trainer."
- "Fascinating subject matter, very well covered. Right amount of detail, easy to follow and engage with. Like the incorporation of group work."
- "Very useful, practical tips. Case studies were great to make us investigate causes of problems."
- "Very clear and concise material, very knowledgeable course leader, very inclusive and happy to talk through experiences with everyone, good open atmosphere, good examples and nice to talk about own experience."
New course suggestions
In order to ensure that the courses we offer are relevant to those working in the life sciences sector, we survey our membership on an annual basis and appeal to our employer members for intelligence on industry needs. We’re always keen to expand our training programme, so please do contact us with your training needs and suggestions.