The Registered Scientist (RSci) professional recognition award is open to members of the Royal Society of Biology who can also demonstrate the required professional competences and a commitment to CPD. It carries an annual fee of £20.50.
Professional Recognition allows you to demonstrate your skills, knowledge and commitment to self-development at each stage of your career. By providing a pathway and assistance to progression, the Royal Society of Biology is with you throughout your career.
Registered Scientist is a nationally recognised professional award which has a recognised standard of competence and expertise which:
- Demonstrates your skills experience and knowledge
- Signals your commitment to continuous improvement by undertaking continual professional development (CPD)
- Exemplifies your transferable skills
- Improves your professional status and recognition
- Allows the use of the letters RSci after your name
- Provides progression to the higher awards of Chartered Status
- Gives access to life-long learning via membership of the Royal Society of Biology
In order to remain on the RSci register you are required to complete a CPD record on myCPD (via mySociety). For further information and guidance on applying to the register, and CPD please view the documents below.
The Science Council are running a series of online workshops on applying for registration. Click here for the schedule and more information.
- Explanatory notes on competences
- Example RSci application - whilst this may be helpful to use as a general guide, bear in mind this application was to previous Science Council competences. We will be updating this soon.
- Example RSci CPD record
- Learning for Life - CPD guidance
Industry Skills Certificate
The Industry Skills certificate supports applicants working towards Registered Scientist (RSci) status by supporting development in one or more of the following competency areas:
- Application of knowledge and understanding
- Personal responsibility
- Interpersonal skills
- Professional practice
- Professional standards
For more information email us or call 020 3925 3458.
To start your application, visit our members area mySociety.
Applications from Apprentices
The Science have recently assessed a number of apprentices against mapping of the RSci and RSciTech registers. One of the key motivations for mapping apprenticeships is for creating shortened application routes for those apprenticeships that have been judged as well aligned, recognising the strong foundation of learning and extensive professional experience secured as a direct result of the mandated aspects of the apprenticeship. Apprentices can find out more information on this, and applications will be taken through the Science Council website.
Shortened application routes for apprentices will be coming soon to RSB, but for now, if you wish to apply by this route, contact the Science Council.
The Royal Society of Biology is committed to ensuring equal opportunities in the life sciences, and supports diversity throughout the pipeline; at school and higher education, in the workplace and training.