Finding work experience in biology
Are you interested in studying biology at university? One of the best ways of finding out what it’s like is to give it a go by doing some work experience!
- Some tips for finding work experience:
- Be pro-active and make the most of what you know and who you know
- Ask your school careers advisor
- Ask your science or biology teacher. Most science teachers will have a science degree and may well know of just the person who is able to offer the type of experience you are looking for!
- Do you have any family or friends who work in biology who might be able to help?
- Look for local laboratories, offices, clinical environments or wherever else you think you might see yourself working (see below for some ideas). You could use the internet to contact them directly.
There are some science organisations that offer work experience specially for A level students. Here are some examples:
- The Nuffield Foundation offers bursaries to support A level students on work experience placements
- University College London offers lab based workshops and work experience via its Zebrafish group
- The MRC Clinical Sciences Centre in London offers work experience as well as tours of the facilities
- GlaxoSmithKline offer experience in labs in institutions in London, Essex and Hertfordshire
- Queen's University Belfast offers lab experience in their Marine Laboratory in Portaferry and Belfast
- The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute offer 1 to 2 weeks work experience for students interested in scientific research
- The Dove Marine Laboratory, Newcastle University offers a number of work experience placements for 16-18 year olds
- The EDA Year in Industry helps post A-Level/Higher/Advanced Higher and undergraduate students find 9 to 12 month paid work placements in all areas of science
- STFC offer students lab work experience at Chilbolton Observatory, Daresbury Laboratory, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and The UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UKATC)
You could also try contacting some other organisations near you.
- a natural history or science museum
- wildlife conservation
- a research lab in a university
- a research or production lab in an industrial setting
- a clinical lab in a hospital
- a zoo
- a veterinary practice
- science writing
- a school