Student biology societies are an excellent way to encourage students and other members of your department to socialise by arranging a range of fun and stimulating lectures and events.
If you already have a student biology society you can register with the Royal Society of Biology for free for a number of benefits that will help to make it a success.
Why should I set a BioSoc up?
- Enhance your biological knowledge outside your studies
- Committee members will get experience that looks great on their CVs
- Organise interesting and fun events
- Great for socialising
- Register your BioSoc with us for free for a number of benefits
If you would like to start a student biology society at your university or college then we can offer you some guidance.
How can I set a BioSoc up?
- Get a group of students interested
- Think of a name
- Form a committee – they should be committed and enthusiastic
- Get support from your department – they will be able to offer ideas and support about events, sponsorship and help promote events
- Get support from your Students' Union (SU) – they can officially recognise your society and offer support. Every SU operates differently so get in touch with them to find the level of support they offer student societies.
- Recruit members
Register your student BioSoc
Registering is free and easy - just fill out the BioSoc registration form.
You will need contact details for your president and one other committee member, and proof (e.g. confirmation email) that your society is supported by your Students' Union or department.
Once registered, you will receive an e-handbook with tips on running your BioSoc such as structure and governance advice and guidance for running events. The handbook also provides details of how to take advantage of the following benefits.
By registering your student biology society you will receive:
- Free student membership to the Royal Society of Biology for your president
- Reduced membership rates for your members (£12.50 rather than £15)
- Free resources & merchandise
- E-alerts - news about the Society and relevant opportunities
- Networking - we will help you interact with our members, local branches, and other student societies via a range of communication channels
- Help and advice on running your society
If you have any questions about BioSoc registration then please contact email@example.com
Interact with the RSB
We love to hear about the activities carried out by BioSocs. Let us know what you have planned, and we may be able to support you with free resources, helpful tips and advice. We may also be able to attend one of your events to talk about the RSB, membership and other opportunities.